Learning Disabilities Unit
Introduction to Understanding Our Differences
Watch this very quick video about Understanding Our Differences to find out more about this program!
You will be learning about Learning Disabilities soon!
- In this unit, you will learn that individuals with learning disabilities have at least one area of significant challenge in learning.
- Each individual with a learning disability is unique with a combination of strengths and challenges. A strength for one person may be a challenge for another person.
- People develop strategies to accommodate for areas of challenge by using areas of strength.
- You will have the chance to hear a guest speaker with learning disabilities talk about their life.
- You will also have a chance to ask the guest speaker some questions, too.
- You will learn that every member of our community wants to be treated with respect, be included, and to have friends.
Get Ready! Meet some kids with learning disabilities in these video clips from www.Understood.org :
You will hear from a group of students who are about your age. They talk about their feelings and experiences, special interests, strengths and challenges, going to school and making friends. There are questions to think about after the video clips.
After the video, here are questions to think about:
- How are the children in the video similar to everyone else?
- What were some of the ways the kids said they were different?
- How did the kids feel when learning was challenging? Have you ever felt the same way?
- What are some of the strategies the kids use to help them with their challenges? Did they feel successful when they use these strategies?
- Do you have strategies that help you when you are learning?
- How can you be helpful to someone with a learning disability?
Coming Up Next…your unit presentation will happen soon!
Can you think of questions you might have for the guest speaker? We’ll see you soon!
The Understanding Our Differences curriculum is protected by copyright, © 2010-2023. Understanding Our Differences, Inc. All rights reserved. The Understanding Our Differences curriculum is not to be altered, photocopied, shared with other entities, or reproduced in any way, and is not to be resold.